Thursday, November 4, 2010

Quick & VERY Easy Holiday Appetizers!

For my famly, Thanksgiving is one of the most exciting parts of the year, along with Christmas Eve. This is because those are the two holidays that our whole family gathers at our house for dinner. I am especially excited for Thanksgiving this year because my brother and I are going to be cooking for everybody. I am not sure as to what we are cooking yet but previous years (ever since I was very young) I have been in charge of making appetizers (and most likely will be again!). So, I'll post a few quick, easy recipes for you to share with your families this holiday season!

Homemade Mac and Cheese
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-mac-and-cheese/Detail.aspx

This is not the recipe I use when I make it, but it is pretty close to it.This one that I have posted takes about 50 minutes to make, including preparation and cooking time. In this recipe, it asks for Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar cheese-- I usually use extra sharp cheddar cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. I highly recommend this recipe because it is extremely simple to make and is enjoyable for everyone! Another suggestion I have is to double the recipe; Everyone usually loves it so much that it's gone before the blink of an eye. I have tried making this with pepper jack cheese-- not so tasty.. Sharp and extra sharp cheddar is exquisite and the bread crumbs on the top make it all the more tastier.


Deviled Eggs 

I make these every year simply because they are SO SIMPLE! They are great, delicious snacks to eat before the big meal when your stomach cannot possibly wait any longer to put something in it. They are healthy, as well, if you are looking to steer away from those store-bought vegetable trays. When I make these, I do not use a recipe, but I have posted one for guidance. This recipe has listed two mustards to add: I do not use those, I use pure ground mustard. When making the filling, it is usually easiest, after crushing up the yoke, to just keep adding the mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip salad dressing, light) until it tastes right to you-- some prefer more or less creamy than the recipe may request. After I create the consistency I want, I add the ground mustard, salt, and pepper until I get the taste I want. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin bread has always been a holiday favorite for me. Another suggestion is pumpkin soup, but that it a little bit more difficult to make. Pumpkin bread only takes 15 minutes to prepare, and the rest of the magic is all done in the oven! I love cooking this because it can be shared by a lot of people, and is seasonal. Try this recipe out.

Mom's Dip
I'll call this one mom's dip because it's something that my mom always makes on any occasion we have at our house. It's good for nice dinners, but is also very delicious at BBQ's or just for sitting out by the pool. This one is guaranteed gone by the end of the night! This one is the EASIEST one to make. All you need is block cream cheese, cilantro, and Harry & David's Pepper & Onion Relish (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wineonthekeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008B/pepper-onion-relish-dip.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wineonthekeyboard.com/2008/05/06/fantastic-pepper-and-onion-relish-dip/&usg=__JA8LDNAJelflYe20OuvyLqpEFL4=&h=317&w=475&sz=64&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=daFFt_qjs314yM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=188&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpepper%2Brelish%2Bharry%2B%2526%2Bdavid%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D561%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=130&vpy=94&dur=373&hovh=141&hovw=211&tx=113&ty=130&ei=l3bTTL_aNoGksQOe6P3rBQ&oei=l3bTTL_aNoGksQOe6P3rBQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0 )

Step 1: Unwrap the block of cream cheese and lay it in the middle of the plate.
Step 2: Dump the bottle of Pepper & Onion Relish on top of the cream cheese, letting gravity do the work.
Step 3: Cut the stems off the cilantro. Dice the cilantro. Sprinkle the leaves on top of the cream cheese and relish creation from Step 2.
Step 4: Enjoy with tostitos or restaurant chips! :)

I promise, it's SO delicious! I usually use a different "relish" or sauce to put on top, but this one is another alternative-- a little bit sweeter though. If you would to try like the kind that I typically use, it is called Chili Sauce and is sold at Ralphs or Albertsons. It will not be in the salsa or sauce isle, but in the ketchup isle. It is a round, clear, glass bottle with a white lid!!




I hope that these simple recipes will make your holidays more enjoyable :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanksgiving! I love it and I love food! All these recipes sound really tasty and reading all this gets me so excited for the holiday season coming up. Like yourself, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two big holidays that my family will always get together and I love every moment of it. The Mom's Dip sounds really appetizing and I trust it's as delicious as you say because the way you describe makes it so enticing. My favorite part is that it's EASY! I'm not much of a cook, but I would love to be one day. But for now, I think I'm going to stick with the Mom's Dip. Thanks for the recipes and great post!

    ReplyDelete